Saturday, November 13, 2010

Navajo Tacos


When I make Navajo Tacos I use a scone dough instead of fry bread.  Fry bread can be tough and I like this dough a lot better.  You can use your favorite chili for this recipe.  I have a few different chili recipes that I have used but I will post my shortcuts.  I am a busy mom and sometimes I don't have time to make a time consuming chili. I hope you enjoy!

Chili
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 onion, diced
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 cup water
1 chili seasoning packet
4 can's chili beans

In a large stockpot brown the hamburger and saute the diced onions.  Add the remaining ingredients.  Turn to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes.

Scones
3 TBS yeast, dissolve in 1/2 cup warm water
2 cups cold milk
1/2 cup shortening, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1 rounded tsp salt
3 eggs
6 cups flour

Add all the above ingredients together.  The batter will be a little sticky.  Chill at least 30 minutes.  Roll out to 1/4 inch thick and cut into squares.  Fry in hot oil for about 1 minute on each side.  Drain on a paper towel.

Toppings
Diced tomatoes
Chopped lettuce
Diced Avocados
Diced Olives
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream
Salsa

Top scone with chili and toppings of your choice.

No comments: